This was a really challenging block. Amy asked for paper piecing, which I'd never done before. I was totally up for the challenge. She also requested square-in-square blocks, which look really cool. All of this is fine by me. She also requested that we not add fabric from our own stash--totally cool with that too. The real challenge was that I didn't have a lot of fabric to work with, so if I messed up, I was in trouble. I planned out the block I was going to do but quickly realized that no matter how I sliced it, I was not going to be able to get a 12.5 strip from any of the fabrics. I had to piece at least two sides worth of fabric to get the desired length. I also didn't have enough to make the outer ring all the same fabric.
Overall, a good exercise in working within your limits, and I'm glad for it. I just don't know that this block fits with Amy's vision. I hope she likes it and is not too disappointed with my very first attempt ever at paper piecing!