The next quilt was also ABQ as of last year. I taught myself to free-motion quilt in January, and this was the first quilt I stippled. I made it with some leftovers from another quilt and a pack of charm squares. I originally didn't know who it would be for, and less than a week after I finished it my husband got an email from his cousin announcing the birth of his son. Voila! I put the quilt in a box, got a card, and sent it off.
Also in January I started and completed a quilt for my former roommate. She knew she was having a girl but didn't want something too "prissy". So I found the "Yard Sale" pattern in Valori Wells' book and modified it a bit to be baby size.
This pink quilt was also ABQ as of last year. I made it with a bunch of fabrics that my friend didn't want. She used to belong to a Japanese fabrics club (where you get a packet each month) and she has a strange aversion to fabric with people in it. So she gave me all her fabrics with people in them! I needed a quick project to keep me busy one day last fall, and I came up with this. I think it's really cute. I will probably donate this one to charity, as I don't know anyone having girls right now.
Finally, there is the wonky log cabin I made for my choir director. Well, not actually my choir director--his wife is the one having the baby, but you get the idea. They know it's a boy, but I figured even if not, this is a pretty gender-neutral quilt. I had a lot of fun with this quilt. It was for Project Improv, which happened to start right after I read "Liberated Quiltmaking" by Gwen Marston. After I made a block for Project Improv I wanted to continue, and this quilt was born. It was really fun and I like the way it turned out.
Here's another picture of the detail:
I hope they like it!
So, that's the round up of what I've done so far this year. April's been a slow month on completing things. I was getting ready for Easter, and I just had other priorities. Hopefully I'll be able to get some quilting time in this Thursday with the quilt guild ladies.