Sunday, March 28, 2010

Quick liberated baby quilt

When I got back from my trip, I had a nice package of solids awaiting me.
Pile of solids


Some are for the paintbox quilt, and others were just because I am trying to increase the number of solids in my stash.  I've been meaning to make a baby quilt for my friend B, but the paintbox quilt took over. Well, she had a lovely baby girl E on Friday, so I realized I had better get cracking! I was fiddling with some fabrics, thinking I would do a disappearing nine patch quilt, but I couldn't find enough fabrics to get excited about. The solids were calling my name! So I cut a bunch of 13" strips with varying sizes, each with a wide end and a narrow end (no measuring).  I sewed them all together and then squared up to 12.5".  The nine squares were done yesterday and then I sewed the top together at the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild meeting.

baby quilt top
You can't tell from the photo here, but the borders are a light gray and the light color in the quilt itself is actually a powder blue.  All are Kona solids.  I don't have the names with me at the moment, but you wouldn't want to make exactly the same quilt as me, would you? 


I came home and basted it and now I just need to quilt it.
basted baby quilt

It was super quick and easy.  I recommend you try it if you want to make something quick, easy, and modern for that baby shower that is next week. :)

4 comments:

  1. Lovely spring like fabrics.and a great way to rustle up a quick quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I delted my comment...I wanted to tell you how soft and lovely this baby quilt turned out :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! I'm itching to try some improv, so I might use your recipe here, the result is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete